Goals of the Program
In line with our mission to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens, we are introducing a mentoring program where volunteers will establish a mentoring relationship directly with a young person at Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield!
Working with one or more youths in our Clubs to give members personal attention and guidance will open new doors of hope and opportunity! Mentoring allows youth to have a stable and positive relationship with an adult they might not feel they have otherwise.
Through this program, you can help us fill significant gaps in members' education and emotional wellness, helping to guide them to great futures!
Qualified, adult volunteers— mentors— and youth members in our clubs— mentees— will be matched in either a group or one-on-one mentoring relationship, based on our matching criteria.
Our matching criteria takes important elements into consideration like similar backgrounds, the needs and strengths of the youth, and the skills and strengths of the adult, as well as many other factors.
Mentoring matches will grow together as they participate in fun and engaging activities that help establish trust and benefit the youth's development. Mentoring matches will also have opportunities to participate in periodic mentoring events that may open up new horizons.
Mentors share a meal with their mentee(s). Mentors are encouraged to lead open-ended discussions with their mentee(s) to get to know them and establish possible interests.
Mentors may read a book with your mentee(s), based on that month's book theme. They may lead a discussion regarding the topic of the story read and allow them to talk and relate to the book. The matches might also choose for the mentee to read the book to the mentor.
Triple Play Buddy
Mentors will be able to engage in games that help support daily physical activities, good nutrition, and developing healthy relationships.
- Mentoring matches will meet 3-4 times per month for 1-hour sessions each meeting, over the course of a minimum 9-month commitment.
- Mentors will fill out weekly and monthly report forms to track the progress of the mentoring relationship.
- Mentors must report to monthly check-in meetings with the Mentoring Coordinator to evaluate the mentoring relationship and seek any needed support.
- Mentors will be expected to participate in additional training and mentoring events.
- Screening - Application submission, interview, background check, reference check (fingerprints also required for participation at school locations)
- Orientation & Safety Training - Attend an introductory 1-hour orientation and complete the required online safety training that can be done on your own time
- Ongoing Support - Receive additional training and support as needed
Apply to be a Mentor Today!
We are thankful for our sponsors!